Tea is rich in antioxidants, flavanoids, polyphenols and catechins, this is why it is recommended that tea be a diet staple for overall health. Research has shown that tea can increase health, particularly for people suffering from obesity, stress, anxiety, high blood pressure and insomnia.
First thing you need to know is that GABA is an amino acid that functions as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, it is essential in our mental and physical wellness. GABA Tea is usually made from Oolong tea, although it can be made from Black tea or Green tea, and it is one of the most abundant sources of natural GABA. GABA tea contains up to 240 milligrams of GABA per 100 grams, where as Green tea contains only 6 milligrams of GABA per 100 grams.
Tea is made by exposing tea leaves to oxygen during the oxidation process, GABA tea is made naturally by exposing the tea leaves to nitrogen. This results in a heavily oxidised (appx 70-80%) Oolong tea.
Health benefits of GABA as a supplement include
- Reduces high blood pressure, hypertension and hangovers
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Increases mental alertness, memory retention, energy levels and exercise endurance
- Promotes weight loss and has antibacterial properties
- Promotes skin health and anti-aging by improving skin elasticity
- Increases sexual performance
- As an amino acid that functions as a neurotransmitter, GABA can aid in overcoming depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders, it can also reduce alcohol withdrawal symptoms and is helpful for people suffering insomnia or sleeping disorders