Adrenal function is linked to stress, cortisol and thyroid function. Diet is one of the best ways to naturally support the adrenal function particularly if we are recovering from adrenal fatigue or adrenal exhaustion ( Adrenal support with supplements and medical attention should be consulted with your doctor)
Women to Women is a reference for women’s health, below is a simple guide to follow, based on fluctuating levels of cortisol relative to the adrenal function, advising women when to eat and why.
Here are some tips to help support your natural cortisol cycle:
- Try to eat breakfast within an hour of getting up, or by 8 am to restore blood sugar levels that were depleted during the night.
- Eat a healthy snack around 9 am.
- Try to eat lunch between 11 am and noon to prevent a large dip in cortisol levels.
- Eat a healthy snack between 2 and 3 pm to help off-set the natural cortisol dip that occurs around 3 or 4 pm. Many people notice this dip every day and reach for extra caffeine or carbohydrate-loaded snacks, which will actually impede hormonal balance.
- Try to eat dinner between 5 and 6 pm and although it may be difficult at first, try to eat a light meal. Eventually your body will enjoy digesting less food in the evening.
- Eat a nutritious, light snack an hour before bed, but be sure to avoid refined sugars. Nut butters with fresh fruit or cheese are ideal choices.