This is a simple gluten and dairy free Banana bread recipe that is great for children and adults with allergies or digestive issues, it is wheat, gluten, refined sugar and dairy free – and is delicious! You can add natural ‘fillers’ as substitutes to flour as you like (ie. almond meal) it is so simple you won’t even need a measuring cup!
- 3-5 bananas, or however many you have lying around, mashed up in a large bowl
- beat 2-3 eggs and add them to the banana mix
- To fill out the mixture, we’re going to use almond meal and shredded coconut. Hazelnut meal would also work well here.
- Ratio: 3 bananas : 2 eggs : 2 cups fillers. The mixture will be of a medium consistency when it’s combined.
- If you would like to fill it out with gluten free (or normal) flour go ahead, this will make it more cake-like. I don’t think it needs this, the basic recipe is a moist cake that will keep for a week.
- It is essential to add spices when creating dairy and sugar free desserts, add: Cinnamon, Vanilla bean, cloves and nutmeg. I add around 1/2 teaspoon of each
- Pour into a oven proof silicone loaf pan (they’re so easy to remove the loaf from, you’ll never turn back) and sprinkle with almond flakes, cinnamon & other spices as you like
- Bake in pre-heated oven for around 45 minutes at 170 fan-forced, or until it smells cooked. it will be ready when it is slightly firm to touch. Because of the consistency of the bananas and lack of flour, it does not spring back like a traditional banana bread as it is more dense once cooked through. It shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes (depending on the size of your pan) Allow to cool for 15 minute.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of brown rice honey or on its own. Cut into 1.5cm slices and wrap it up in baking paper to keep it moist once it has cooled down enough, it is a light & nutritious treat for all lunch boxes!