Anything gluten free has my tick of approval and for me the easier and lighter, the better. Gluten free is usually tied up with refined sugar free & dairy free. Unfortunately, for shortcake there isn’t a great dairy alternative to butter (that i’ve found yet – wait for it!) so this has butter in it. Using an organic butter is a great way of minimising reaction. When making a dessert or sweet treat I like to keep the ingredients as simple as possible, the less the better!
This gluten free apple tart is derived from the apple & rhubarb shortcake recipe, but it took a 1/4 of the time, is extremely easy to make & requires minimal planning. As a smaller cake they would also be great for freezing & serving when you have unexpected guests. It can be made in any size, I used small tart tins with a removable base for these which made 5.
- 1 & 3/4 cup gluten free flour (plain)
- 150g organic butter, cubed room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cold egg
- 1 tbsp cold water
- pinch salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup sweetener: Use what suits you, agave, brown rice syrup, Yacon syrup, molasses, golden syrup. I like to use a combination of molasses or brown rice syrup and Yacon syrup.
- 4-5 apples, cut in large cubes & brought to the boil. Hint: Remove when they are tender but not stewed and allow to cool on a plate, sprinkle with cinnamon, cloves & vanilla extract. Apple can also be boiled with vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced)
- Peel, cube & boil apples (4-5) appx 10-15 min, remove from heat & allow to cool down on a plate
- Beat the egg and water until it is a fluffy consistency and add to the flour & almond meal.
- Add sweetener and mix, it should become a breadcrumb consistency
- Check the apples!
- Add the cubed butter & combine with a fork or spoon until smooth, it’s quite a workout.
- Divide dough into two halves, wrap in cling wrap & put in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. Hint: It’s easier to work with when cold
- Remove dough from fridge, use required portion of dough to line tins and bake in oven (This is enough dough mix for 5 small tart tins). Thickness of dough in tins should be appx 4-5mm.
- *Depending on your oven,Small tarts take around 20 minutes to cook through, just before 15 minutes ( when it is still soft to touch) place pieces of the apple into the tart using a fork or spoon, leave tarts in the oven and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the tart is golden & allow to cool in the tin. The shortcake will still be soft to touch & crumbly when it is hot.
- Remove from the tin when tarts have cooled completely.
*Hint: Allow to cool on the bench & place in the fridge overnight, removing from tins just before you serve
Hope you enjoy!